It’s a red-letter day here at the bottom of the world: I finally get to see what my hero, Daenerys, has been up to since she vanquished her lying suitor and rescued her dragons. We are terribly backwards down here. If we want to watch Game of Thrones, Season 3, and we’re not into illegally downloading copies, we’ve had to wait till now (just when Season 4 is about to come out in the US).
What woman couldn’t thrill to the transformation of Daenerys, from fearful property of the barbarian, Drogo, to warrior queen and Mother of Dragons. In my book, she’s the best female character ever created for screen. And what to say about Peter Dinklage’s Tyrion Lannister? He steals every scene he’s in.
Here are a few of my favourite moments from Seasons 1 and 2:
- the first glimpse of The Wall with the horsemen riding out; it’s the very first scene of the whole series and when I saw it I thought, “Hello. What’s this?”
- the night when Daenerys resists Drogo’s usual “love-making” and enrols him in something new; it’s the first moment of transformation
- the golden crown incident
- Daenerys eating the horse’s heart, and walking into the funeral pyre (great inversion)
- the battle scene with the wildfire
- Tyrion and the sky cell
- the scenes between Arya and Tywin Lannister (Charles Dance, I’ve missed you; where have you been?)
- the twin bodies hanging from Winterfell; Theon’s stupidity
- my skin shrinking whenever Joffrey appears.
OK, post over. Like all lovers, I really just wanted to say all their names.
Actually, one more thing before I put Disc 1 in the DVD … are they not the best title sequences you’ve ever seen?